Saturday, July 9, 2011

Take Me Out To The Ball Game

This week started with a bang (quite literally - it was the 4th of July). We didn't do much, just a little bbq with the Meads.

Casen decided to make it exciting by getting hurt though (go figure). He got a little cut on his heel which ended up being a huge sliver of glass that got jammed up into his foot. We didn't find out it was glass until a few days later when I was cleaning his owie and the glass shot out at me. SO NASTY! Hes much better now though. Rilyn and I played a prank on Cody.
We dumped a huge bucket of ice water on him while he was in the shower. It was great. And this week we decided to head on over to the ball field to watch some home team ball. Our AAA team is affiliated with the New York Yankees (they're the Scranton Wilkes-Barre Yankees) and they were pretty fun to watch. We got lucky because the night before their game had be called because of the rain so we got to go to a double header. We only made it 2 innings into the second game but it was still a lot of fun. We went with Ashlee and Smitty which made it even more fun.
Since Ri and Case have the attention spans of flies they spent most of the game snaking and running back and forth between the seats.
They both had their gloves and Casen didn't want anyone to touch his.
He kept a very close eye on it. Before the game Rilyn thought that we were going to watch her play baseball and she kept telling us, "but I don't know how to play baseball". It was pretty funny. Trying to explain the game was pretty funny too. Basically I told her that we wanted the blue guys to hit the ball and the grey guys to not hit the ball. At one point I said that they get 3 chances to hit the ball and then they have to go sit down and of course she starts counting and the pitcher starts throwing balls instead of strikes. Thanks for making me a liar pitcher!! She wanted to know what was up with that so I told her that he messed up on the last throw and gets to try again. She's 4, I've gotta keep things simple! All and all I'd say it was a very fun night and I hope we get to go again soon.
On a different note, this week my Nana passed away. She's been battling cancer for a couple of years and on Friday she passed peacefully with her daughters around her. My Nana was an amazing woman. She ran her own business and was an extremely talented pianist. She taught me how to play. She also taught me to love theater. She would take us to plays and musicals all the time when we were little and at the time I'm sure my brother and I would have loved to do something different but I'm so glad that she did because now I can appreciate it. She also was a very good seamstress and made me so many beautiful things. Rilyn now loves to play in a dress up she made for me when I was Rilyn's age. The last year before I moved out to PA I got to spend a lot of time with her helping with the company. I loved spending time with Nana. She was so wonderful and I'll really miss her. I'm happy knowing that she's no longer suffering and I'm glad that she got to know my children. I'm glad that I got to have her as my Nana for 25 years. I love her a lot and I really miss her already. I wish that we were closer to home because it doesn't feel right being over here but I know that here is where I'm supposed to be. This is the first time I haven't been around when someone has died and its different to go through it alone (well not totally alone I have Cody and the kids but its different). I've been feeling a very strong pull back towards the piano for the last couple of days and feel like that's because of her. I hope that I can pass on something of my Nana through her music to my kids since they are so young. She left big shoes to fill in that department though. I love you Nana and will always miss you.

0 comments: